Job title: Web Developer, Back End
Company: NorthShore University HealthSystem
Job description: Web Developer, Back End
- Position: Web Developer, Back End
- Location: Evanston, IL
- Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm
- Required Travel: N/A
Who We Are
We are a newly aligned organization, bringing together the best of NorthShore University HealthSystem and Edward-Elmhurst Health, with 9 hospitals, 25,000 team members and 6,000 physicians serving over a million patients from over 300 sites of care across the Chicagoland area.
Together, we share a common vision to provide vibrant, community-connected care with a focus on community connection, expert care close to home, and the value of people.
- We are investing in our communities to support closing health equity gaps and assuring convenient access to healthcare.
- We have regional centers of care that provide exemplary patient experiences and are always working to develop innovative care solutions.
- We are committing to being the best place to work, learn, practice, and receive care.
As Web Developer, Back End at NorthShore – Edward Elmhurst Health, you will build and support exemplary and highly customized web experiences for our patients and team members. As a member of the web development team, you will lead back end web development, testing, performance tuning and management for our public-facing brand websites. You will make enhancements to the health system’s websites that include functionality optimization, user experience (UI/UX), software upgrades, security updates, quality assurance and performance enhancements.
This role is part of the Digital Marketing team and reports to the System Manager, Digital Operations. In this role, you will extend our content management system (CMS) to deliver digital experiences, content and tools that serves our patients, team members and community members. You will work with other team members to build new features, troubleshoot and improve current applications and processes. You will develop digital products that meet and comply with brand, accessibility, security, privacy and legal standards.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and maintain reusable and secure code that powers our content management system (CMS), web platforms and custom applications.
- Responsible for creating, testing and maintaining custom templates, components and functionality that renders web experiences.
- Build, test and maintain integrations and web services.
- Partner with cross-functional teams regularly on feature development, prioritization and testing. Align closely with Integrated Technology partners on new and innovative technology adoption.
- Work with outside vendors to ensure technical solutions fit within the health system framework.
- Manage the deployment of content to testing, staging and development requirements as outlined in the health system deployment policy.
- Develop, manage and support our website hosting environments and application databases.
- Provide “on call” support and assistance for priority technical issues, outages or crisis situations.
- Collaborate with other developers, vendors and Integrated Technology on: developing and managing data architecture and workflow diagrams; database maintenance; managing stored procedures, scripts and scheduled jobs; security and load testing, and other quality assurance activities.
- Optimize CMS, websites and custom applications for performance, scalability, and security.
- Develop and maintain standards for coding, development and documentation of work. Comply with organizational standards, practices and methodologies.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation for websites and custom applications.
- Collaborate with team members, key stakeholders and external team partners on project planning efforts.
- Receive additional education and training to remain current on best practices, learn new programming languages and improve development skillset.
Education, Experience & Licensure
Level of Education Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology or a related field.
Level of Education Preferred:
Minimum Length and Nature of Experience Required:
- Four (4) or more years developing, maintaining and supporting enterprise-level web applications and experience with a CMS
Minimum Length and Nature of Experience Preferred:
- Eight (8) or more years developing, maintaining and supporting enterprise-level web applications and experience with a CMS
License and/or Certification Required:
License and/or Certification Preferred:
Special Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Proven experience developing and managing customized websites using a content management system (CMS)
- Proven experience developing web applications that leverage data feeds and other integrations
- Experience developing with open-source content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal) and Optimizely a plus
- Proven experience managing web applications in cloud-based hosting environments (e.g. Azure)
- Experience with utilizing SaaS solutions
- Expertise co-developing in multi-stage environment using with Git-based source control
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Solid database skills in a relational database (e.g. Azure SQL, MySQL, PostgresSQLetc.)
- Experience with SOAP and REST web services
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment, experience with time management and estimating
Strong attention to detail and ability to work on several projects at once
- Career Pathways to Promote Professional Growth and Development
- Various Medical, Dental, Pet and Vision options, including Domestic Partner Coverage
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free Parking
- Wellness Program Savings Plan
- Health Savings Account Options
- Retirement Options with Company Match
- Paid Time Off and Holiday Pay
- Community Involvement Opportunities
- Visa Sponsorship Available (Nursing and Lab roles)
NorthShore – Edward-Elmhurst Health is a fully integrated healthcare delivery system committed to providing access to quality, vibrant, community-connected care, serving an area of more than 4.2 million residents across six northeast Illinois counties. Our more than 25,000 team members and more than 6,000 physicians aim to deliver transformative patient experiences and expert care close to home across more than 300 ambulatory locations and eight acute care hospitals – Edward (Naperville), Elmhurst, Evanston, Glenbrook (Glenview), Highland Park, Northwest Community (Arlington Heights) Skokie and Swedish (Chicago) – all recognized as Magnet hospitals for nursing excellence. Located in Naperville, Linden Oaks Behavioral Health, provides for the mental health needs of area residents.
When you work for NorthShore – Edward-Elmhurst Health, you will be part of an organization that encourages its employees to achieve career goals and maximize their professional potential.
Please explore our website ( ) to better understand how NorthShore – Edward-Elmhurst Health delivers on its mission to “help everyone in our communities be their best”.
NorthShore – Edward-Elmhurst Health is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. Please refer to the main career page for more information.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the core of who we are; being there for our patients and each other with compassion, respect and empathy. We believe that our strength resides in our differences and in connecting our best to provide community-connected healthcare for all.
EOE: Race/Color/Sex/Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Vets, VEVRRA Federal Contractor.
Expected salary: Not Available
Location: Evanston, IL
Job date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 04:23:56 GMT
Apply for the job now!